Sunday, August 17, 2014

Unusual Sights

Today, over lunch at the Navy Club, we were talking to the kids about experiencing a different culture by living it. We said that there may be things that look familiar but upon further inspection are just not quite right. It's what makes living abroad fun and interesting. 

As we were talking, Mike became distracted. 


I followed his gaze and came upon a perfect example to showcase what we were trying to teach the kids. 


Now, you might not think much of a clown sitting on a beam. But this is a nautical themed restaurant. A clown kinda, well, it's not quite right. 

A few minutes later, Kelly started pointing and saying "cow."


Sure enough. A cow. Of sorts. 


And a couple of Christmas wreaths.  Because why not?  It doesn't really detract from the fishing nets and mermaids. In fact, it's fun. 

Sometimes, however, those little not quite right-isms are neither little nor fun. They smack in the face of what we try to teach out kids. 

Like this policy instituted at a different restaurant, owned by the brother of an old friend of ours. 


Ebola and southern BBQ joints. Hmmmm... I see. I wonder how they plan to identify the Africans. I wonder if I should explain how the virus is spread. 

Meh. The expat community is already planning a boycott. Should last till Friday, happy hour. If that long. 

And then there's this rare sight, too. Civilian employees sporting BDU's to play war. 


Mike laments the irony that he wore jeans and tshirts while working in a real war, but gets brand new, government issued uniforms in which to practice. 

He looks pretty good in his uniform, if I do say so myself. Mmmm... rare sight, indeed. 





3 comments:

  1. I love reading these I think they are a little glimpse into a place I realistically will never see. I also love to tell the kids about your experiences!! BTW Mike looks hot ;) but I have always been partial to a man in uniform!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your experiences are one of the highlights of my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, gals! It's been fun to do. Not too much writing. Fun pictures. No pressure. Hell, I do the whole blog from my phone! Seriously. So excuse any whacky typos. Damn you, Autocorrect!

    ReplyDelete